Monday, April 13, 2009

[Cooking] Marathon weekend

So, overall a good weekend. If ever there was a post of mine that qualified as "useless twitter feed", this would be it.

I made the following this Sunday:
Latkes for breakfast - a bit salty when I doubled the recipe. Maybe I subbed Tbsp for Tsp?

Dinner:
Ham (prefab from Sam's), Mixed veggies (prefab steamer bag), Prefab bread (I know, I know - just didn't have time or forethought to do something special), and I made:
Glazed Carrots - worked well, but for some reason I needed to cook them for longer than stated in the recipe. It took a while, and while the glaze wasn't perfect (next time try 1.5 cups of Ginger Ale), it was passable.
Bag Lady's Favorite Chocolate Pound Cake. Don't make this in a Bundt pan - it'll overflow. I used an Angel food pan, and it worked perfectly. Pulled it out after 85 minutes and it was done and came out moist. I used the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Icing (recipe below) and that worked wonderfully with it.

I do need to see if there's some sort of liquid-center bundt-cake recipe, where when it bakes enough it's cake, and where it's not it's pudding-like. That would be yummy.

Here's the recipe - I didn't make the cake, just the icing.
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

No comments: